The field of natural home funeral and crossing care (related to the period just before, during, and after death) is growing in popularity. Pioneers in the field have written books and articles, interviewed on television and radio, and presented numerous workshops that provide information, education, and training around caring for our own at death. Here's some samplings of works by just a few of these courageous people; see our blog under Further Readings for current articles and information.
Beth Knox, author and Founder of Crossings: Caring for Our Own at Death (www.crossings.net)
"Alison's Gift," the story of Crossings' beginnings at the unexpected death of Beth's daughter, Alison.
"A Movement to Bring Grief Back Home," The Washington Post, 6/5/2005
"Home Funerals, Tending to Their own," (video) UPI News, 10/29/2008
"The Case for Home Funeral Care," (interview) on WYPR, 5/19/2010
Nancy Jewel Poer, author and lecturer on the topics of conscious death and dying (www.nancyjewelpoer.com)
"Living into Dying: A Journal of Spiritual and Practical Deathcare for Family and Community"
"The Tear: A Children’s Story of Transformation and Hope When a Loved One Dies"
"The Most Excellent Dying of Theodore Jack Heckelman," (video) the heartwarming story of the conscious dying and natural death care of Nancy's beloved brother, Jack.
- "After Death Home Care," a brief introductory DVD to natural death care by pioneer Merilynne Rush
- "Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love, " Lisa Carlson
- "A Family Undertaking," a ground-breaking, award-winning look at the home funeral movement by PBS
- "Final Rights: Reclaiming the American Way of Death," Lisa Carlson
- "Grave Matters: A Journey Through the Modern Funeral Industry to a Natural Way of Burial," Mark Harris
- It's Okay to Die," Monica Williams
- "Passing Through Our Hands," a documentary produced by Donna Belk on natural home funeral care
- "Undertaken with Love: A Home Funeral Guide for Congregations and Communities"
- “The Art of Natural Death Care”, a documentary produced by Katelyn LaGrega.
- After Death Home Care - Michigan-based crossing care led by Merilynne Rush
- Final Passages - Westcoast- (Sonoma County, California) based crossing care organization
- Funeral Consumers Alliance - FCA protects the rights of individuals and families to be their own funeral directors. There is also a local chapter, FCA of the Piedmont.
- Home Funeral Directory - Locate a workshop, home funeral guide, speaker, or home funeral group/community.
- National Home Funeral Alliance - This site is chock full of guides, books, demonstration videos, and information to assist with home funeral care.
- Natural Transitions - A Colorado-based home funeral education organization that also publishes "Natural Transitions," the only magazine with current topics related to home funerals and natural death care.
- Order of the Good Death - LA-based mortician and writer, Caitlin Doughty, joins other professionals in creating unique approaches to dispel the phobias connected with death and dying.